"Finding the real joy of Christmas comes not in the hurrying and the scurrying to get more done, nor is it found in the purchasing of gifts. We find real joy when we make the Savior the focus of the season. We can keep Him in our thoughts and in our lives as we go about the work He would have us perform here on earth. At this time, particularly, let us follow His example as we love and serve our fellowman...true love is a reflection of the Savior’s love. In December of each year we call it the Christmas spirit. You can hear it. You can see it. You can feel it." Thomas S. Monson
We pray at this Christmas season that we can all slow down and let the spirit of Christmas into our hearts and find those that are in need of cheering up, those that are suffering from illness, those that find themselves in less than desirable circumstances. There is so much suffering in the world and we as the Lord's hands can lift and inspire. We can lighten someones burden just a little and bring light and joy into their lives. We can help them hear, see and feel the Christmas spirit through our service to them. Let us all make room for someone who needs us this Christmas Season.
The first of the month the Bishop asked us to take care of a graveside service for a family from Gainesville area. When I talked to Sister Maruca she said she wanted a talk by Paul. She said you are missionaries and there will be non-member family attending the service. She told me that this was our opportunity to share the gospel. We communicated with the family for a few days by phone and internet and then met them the afternoon of the service. We became instant friends. While some of the sisters were preparing the food for the luncheon I practiced a hymn with two young women who were going to sing. After the food was in warming trays, oven or crock pot we left for the cemetary. There were about 25-30 people there. About 6 were members. Paul did a very nice job talking about the Plan of Salvation. The two YW sang and the woman's son dedicated the grave. The sad part was that the grave was right beside a main road and the traffic made it hard to hear really well. We were invited to stay for the luncheon and was able to get to know more of the family. We found out that one of the family members that lives in Clearwater, part of our stake, is a member. On the way home the sister I had been talking with all week called to ask me what make of car we had. After I told her I asked if they would stop at our apartment and let me get their picture. I had taken no pictures the whole day.
The Maruca family. Sister Maruca-on the right-is really fun. The two YW in front sang. Can't remember the couple to the left. They are family though.
So far this month we have moved 2 families within the ward. People here do not stay in one place for very long. Luckily we get to keep these families. They both moved with a few blocks of where they lived. The first move was on a Saturday morning. Paul and I were just leaving to go visit some less active members and we got a call that no one had showed up and they needed help. So we went to help. By the time we arrived they had about 10 people there. But we stayed. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get the truck loaded and unloaded. When we were done Paul was soaking wet. He's never sweat so much as he has here.
The other move was for the family we have been involved with a lot. Sister Morris has stage 4 cancer and has decided to try the chemo and radiation to extend her life. We are praying that it will work. We spent all morning filling the truck and boxing up their belongings. She has tried to get things boxed but has not had the energy to get it done. So I spent the morning boxing things up while the men hauled the large stuff out. They are just moving around the corner to a house with a fenced in yard...Our ward has 4 people with cancer of some sort or another.
We taught seminary for a week while Sister Burgeson was in Germany. We had planned a very special class for Thursday and wanted as many as we could get there. So I sent a text to all the kids and told them they would not want to miss because we had a special visitor.
We had asked the Elders to come and be the voice of the Savior. We asked them to do something from 3 Nephi and also to include some of the names that the Savior is known by. They did a wonderful job. They read parts of the Living Christ and 3 Nephi. One of the Elders was the voice of the Savior and the other read parts that were not direct quotes. We turned out the lights after Paul had talked a little about the crucifixion and the resurrection. The Elders spoke from the room next door. It was very effective I think. After they were done we asked the Elders to bear their testimonies, then Paul and I were able to bear ours. The spirit was very strong in that room that morning. We did have a few more kids come but we have to work on those that don't come.
We went to court last week and were awarded our camera. But there is now a new glitch. We were called and told that we have to go to the court house and get a paper of replevin and pay $90 to have a sheriff serve the notice of release. I thought the detective told me that she could do that, for free but find out that I can't get it until I pay the $90. The laws here are really weird. Even if you have proof that something is yours, if a pawn shop buys it from someone you have to pay or take them to court. And it looks like you still have to pay.
Our RS was reorganized last week. Jan Hunt, the past RS Pres., is moving to Texas. Our new President is Sister Meridyn Weatherly. Her husband is in med school. She told us that this is the second time she has been called to be RS President when he husband was out of town and she was 7 months pregnant. She has a lot of enthusiasm and will be a very good leader.
Jan Hunt--Thanksgiving dinner at her home.
Going away dinner for Jan. She is in the blue.
We decided to make up a little card and attach it to a pass-a-long card. We were going to make 300 cards for the complex that we live in. I counted wrong. Well...there were 4 cards per page; I asked for 300 copies/pages. So we ended up with 1200 copies. Oops! :) I guess the Lord wanted them to get to more than 300 people. So we took them to PEC meeting and asked the ward leaders to take some to their neighbors and then the Bishop announced it and asked the ward to do the same. Several of the families took some. The box is dwindling. The afternoon that we delivered our cards the Elders came and helped along with our new convert, Erika. She and I stapled them together and they delivered them. Two people told them that they couldn't pass them out but I told the Elders to find Elder Nelson and go to the office. They inquired at the office and they told them they didn't care. We were not soliciting. We were just wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and directing them to mormon.org.
Last Friday, Paul and I went to Busch Gardens Christmas show. Lights were everywhere. They even blew in snow and had a hill that the kids could slide down on tubes. We went to a show of the Three Wise Men. They sang and quoted scripture. Then we went to a ice show that was very colorful and enjoyable. We walked all over the park and enjoyed the sites for about 3 hours.
The little girl in front stole the show. She was adorable.
Took a ride around the park and sang Christmas Carols. It was very festive.
This is a mime. When someone went up to her she would strike a different pose
Three Wise Men. These men had beautiful voices
Giant Snowman
Leaving the park
Last week one of the Elders emailed me and said that they heard that I play the piano and that they were including a copy of a song that he and some of the other Elders were singing for the Christmas Conference in Brandon. It was O Come, O Come, Emmanuel. I spent a lot of time practicing last week. Lots of chords. It is amazing how often I am streeetched on this mission. Well, that day I was really stretched. After I arrived early to practice with the Elders, a Sister asked me if I would play for her. She was singing, "Were you There?". So I practiced with her for a while. Sister Summerhays came up to me and asked if I was playing the prelude/postlude. I didn't think so.? Well my name was on the program so I had to play that. Pretty much cold turkey. Then when the program was in progress I noticed that Elder McDougal's name was on the program. He had asked me to play for him but got sick and said he wasn't singing. So when he came up to sing he told me to let him sing the first verse alone and then to come in on the second verse. Needless to say, it was a little bit of a stressful day for me. The program was very nice though. There were some very talented Elders and Sisters and President Summerhays even sang a song.
Out to lunch
Some happy missionaries
Practicing for our part of the program. O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
We love this couple. Elder and Sister Satchel. They are the office couple and the ones that keep everything going well in our mission. They leave in February and we will miss them.
Paul and President Summerhays. I baked some bread for some of the couples.
Elder and Sister Nielsen with Sister Ovatt. She is going home this month.
We met a couple last week who are new to our ward. She is a member and he now wants to learn about the gospel. He said that he had read the Book of Mormon years ago but that he said he was under the influence of alcohol and really didn't understand any of it. He has been sober for 5 years now and is ready to hear the truth. They live in a little cottage with very little space. But they are humble and happy. He is an artist and paints ships and ocean scenes. He is very good. We are trying to decide on one of his paintings. I like one and Paul likes another. We will probably be teaching them because they told the young Elders that they wanted us to come visit them.
Cozy dining area. Even though they have very little, they are willing to share what they have and invited us to have dinner with them.
David and Nancy Leonard-this is the painting that he wants us to buy. It's nice but I have my eye on another.
Well this is long enough and there is more but I will try to include some of it in our next blog. Everyday brings a new experience. We are loving our work here. We send our love to all and hope that you have a very.....very....very
Merry Christmas
And a
Happy New year
No comments:
Post a Comment