Psalms 145:9 The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.
I have been reflecting on the things that have transpired in the past month and know that the Lord has granted me some "tender mercies" along the way. When we were burglarized we were calm and peaceful and felt the spirit with us. We felt no anger or animosity towards those that victimized us. We prayed for them. This is a tender mercy. I have been able to feel calm and peaceful about my mother's passing. I know that she is "in the loving arms of our Heavenly Father" and is happy with those that preceded her. She is not alone. I know that we will be together again. That is comforting and a tender mercy. A few weeks ago the Bishop gave Elder Nelson and I and the Elders a blessing. For me it was a blessing of peace and comfort. That is a tender mercy. I know that the Lord is guiding us; all of us. He loves us and will grant us tender mercies over and over again. (IF you haven't read or listened to this talk you should. Elder Bednar spoke in the April 2005 conference [May 2005 issue] on The Tender Mercies of the Lord. It was a wonderful talk.) As most of you know, my mother passed from this life to her heavenly home on July 31, 2012. She had been experiencing a lot of back pain, had fallen a couple of times and was ready to leave this existence. She lived a good life; she served many throughout her life; was a faithful member of the church; loved her family; and set good examples. We all have fond memories of mother. She had a sense of humor that brings a smile to my face even now. Dad is missing her but knows that this is not the end and that they will be together again. We are so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the Temple ordinances that bind our families together. What a blessing and a joy. Another tender mercy of our Heavenly Father. On Friday after mother had passed on I felt a need to draw a picture of her. Not sure if I can express my feelings about it, but they were strong and I guess it was because I needed to be close to her during this time. I felt her close at times. It was quite an experience. When I started I didn't know if I would even finish it before we left for Utah. I was able to draw it in three days. My wonderful art teacher gave me some guidance during this time. All went well at the funeral but at the cemetery there was a small problem. After the pallbearers set the casket over the grave, the casket fell with a crash into the vault. The hydraulics had failed. At first it was a shock but we have since been able to look at it as mom wanting to have the last word.
With Ken and Becky Williams, Janet (my sister), Karon Cook
Lori and Dan Nelson (daughter-in-law and son)
Kimber Haidenthaller with Weston (daughter and grandson)
Mom always loved pink
Some of you old timers will remember my wonderful childhood friends, Sunya Faldmo Osborn and Barbara Beecher Repasi
Thanks to our ward Relief Society we had a wonderful luncheon for our family after the funeral. We have a large family. This picture is of Paul's family. Mom Nelson (99 years young), Pam (sister), Dana (sister-in-law), Miles (brother)
This picture of the four of us, Janet, Susan, our sweet Mom, and Me was taken at Layton and Natasha's wedding last year. Mom was always beautiful.
My sister, Susan and I. Dad is at the left.
Our flights to and from Utah were very eventful. I sat by a little girl and her family (mom and 3 siblings). She was 5 years old. She was very talkative and oh so adorable. When I pulled out my crocheting she said that she wanted to sew. So I got her a hook and some yarn and spent a while helping her crochet. She tried so hard to do it. But at 5 years it's hard to grasp the whole idea. She did pretty good though. I ended up making her a bookmark (she said that she liked to read) with a head on top; sort of like a snake. Then later on she said she needed one for her little 3 year old sister and so I made her one also. I actually used part of the chain that she started to make. Her mom had her hands full so I was glad I could help. When we left the plane she came skipping up to me and took my hand and so did her little sister. Paul tried to keep up with the two year old so he didn't fall down the escalator. Their mom had the baby. When we came out to the waiting area this lady kept looking at me and said excuse me. I thought maybe she knew me by the way she was looking. Nope. She said. "Those are my grandchildren." I think that she thought maybe I was taking off with them. I guess she hadn't seen their mom yet. But we had a nice visit, I gave the children to her and we left. On that same flight I met a man that I talked to for quite a while and was able to give him a pass-a-long card. I told him to go to Temple Square which he said he would certainly do. When we parted I said goodbye and he said, "No, not goodbye, I'll be hear in a year and we can get together." I hope that we will be able to see him again. On the way home Paul gave a Book of Mormon to a couple he sat with and he started to read it on the plane and I gave a pass-a-long to a young man I sat by. It's good to have missionary experiences.
I might say that the highlight of my trip were the kids and grandkids. We were able to visit with all those in Utah. It was fun to be with each family for just a little while. The kids are growing up too fast. In just 7 months they've changed. Didn't get enough pictures though.
Dan's wife Lori
Our newest addition to the Brian and Kellie Nelson family - Crew Benjamin. So beautiful
Grandpa with Summer on left and Brooklyn
Brooklyn and Summer playing
Little Summer playing peek-a-boo
Kimber and Weston He has changed the most. He is walking....running all over the place and jabbers all the time.
Grandma and Weston
So cute!
Grandpa tell one of his stories to Scott and Heidi's kids
Grandma and Ellie (she is already in Young Women's- hard to believe)
Scott preparing their traditionl Sunday dinner pancakes.
As you know I started art lessons a few weeks ago. I have only finished moms picture. My grandson is a work in progress. It is coming and I'm sure will be finished soon. My teacher says I need to take pictures as I progress through the projects. So here is the start of Sebastian. Yes, Paul is golfing. So while I am creating pencil strokes, Paul is taking golf strokes.
At our Pioneer Day ward activity Paul told some of his stories to the kids and the adults. He told his bobcat story with a few embellishments and then told a pioneer tale to everyone. The little kids were so cute as he talked to them. A couple of them kept pulling on his pantleg to ask questions. He finally had to ignore them to get done. Then he answered them. We danced and had a wonderful pioneer meal. Some brought their camp chairs or beach chairs, wore cowboy hats, bandanas and we had paper campfires. It was a lot of fun with the ward members.
The questions just kept coming about the bobcat story.
We had a potluck dinner with more than enough food.
On the field
Down under where they practiced
Practicing for the performance. Wish I could post a video of them.
Our cute Sister Missionaries
Just before the performance. Sister Satchal on the left conducted them. I love her. She is the glue to this mission.
During the performance
Erika (new convert), Dan (boyfriend) and Sister Mazey (baptized in March)
Erika and one of my favorite missionaries, Elder Palmer. He goes home in November.
I know what you are going to say. "Did she really eat that?" Yes, every bite. President Summerhays said that we couldn't go to a ballgame and not have a footlong hotdog. So we loaded it up and indulged.
I love our Specialized Training and Zone Meetings. We learn so much. This past month we had a meeting where we were taught a new "Harvesting tool" and a program called "Project Purification" where we commit ourselves to overcoming some of our shortcomings and work on them for 40 days. Paul and I are starting it in September. We were taught how to leave the Saviors peace and blessing in the homes that we visit. It is a wonderful experience. So many people want to have the Lord's blessing left with them. They don't turn us away.
Elder Taveras is on the right. He is our new District Leader. He reminds me a lot of the Baker kids.
During the meeting
Paul and I finally memorized the Remember This in the back of the Preach My Gospel. When the missionaries memorize it we get to sign our name on President Summerhays poster. We signed near the top right.
President Summerhays leading Happy Birthday to all those with a birthday in July. He really got into it.
Our ward has had 3 baptisms this past month. One just before we went to Utah and one while we were there. The first two were a couple who had been having the lessons for a while. Then we didn't see them at church for a few weeks. We asked the Elders what was happening and they didn't seem to know. But that evening Sister Taylor called the Elders and said that she and her husband wanted to be baptized on Monday. That was in three days. They still had several lessons to give her and told her we could plan on Friday. She was going to have brain surgery on some tumors she had and wanted to be baptized before the surgery because she was afraid of what the future held and she wanted to be in control of all her faculties when she was baptized. So we hustled to give them the lessons and get them ready for a Friday baptism. During this week Paul and I got to know them quite well. We really love this little family. They are raising their grandson as their son. I have shed many tears and prayed fervently for her recovery to be able to raise little William in a gospel centered home. They are a very special family. They have a lot of faith and I know that they are going to be blessed. She is now going through radiation for some tumors on the brain.
Erika Rickels was baptized on August 11th. The Elders have been working with her for several months now and a few weeks ago our newest Elder Hendley listened to the spirit and promised her that if she would set a date by the next meeting with her that all would be well and that she would be baptized and that the Lord would make sure she had no more interference. Her mother has been trying to keep her from being baptized...all went well. Her boyfriend, who didn't have a Temple recommend, was able to get it and baptize her. It was a special day for them.
We have lots of meetings here. We just had our Zone Conference. They help us know how to be better missionaries. We do a lot of roll, "real" playing to help us know how to handle different situations. Usually we roll play the a situation once and then critique it and then do it again to improve it. It really helps us know where we need to improve. The sister of one of the wards made us lunch which we all appreciated very much. That is the only real break that we get for over 6 hours of training.
Roll playing
President Summerhays is being instructed on how to get a date with Sister Summerhays by his AP. They related this to getting dates with investigators. It was a fun way to do it. He included Elder Nelson and I as double dates except I canceled on Elder Nelson and he had to go with someone else. I wish I had a picture of Sister Summerhays. She played her part so well as a teenager getting a first date.
Demonstration
Enjoying the meeting
This is Elder and Sister Keyes. They are new in the office replacing Elder and Sister Knight (Deanne Walker). Sister Keyes is the most bubbly person I have every met. She is so fun to be around.
Finally, Lunch
More demonstrations. Always fun and always to the point.
While we were in Utah they had transfers here. We were surprised when we got back how many changes there were. We have several new Elders and a Sister. I had to get a picture at District Meeting last week amongst a few moans and groans. Paul and I also did inspections again last week. All but one apartment got a Celestial. I'm afraid that we have a little training to do.
Elder Weston (only here a couple of days), Elder Hendley, Elder Hargan, Elder Rowan, Elder Boehme,
Elder Nelson, Sister Nelson, Sister Rood (new), Sister Franc, Sister Guerra,
Elder Durrant (new), Elder Taveras (new and District Leader), Elder Kenyon, Elder Perry (new).
This week we are teaching Seminary. In fact, today was our first day of 12. Paul is napping and my eyes are very heavy. Getting up at 4:30 am is not my style. But we had a great time this morning with the kids and know that it will be a great experience. Paul and I are trading off teaching. We also started volunteering at the elementary school. I will be working in the library this year if I can hold up. I organized and returned books to their shelves and I was up and down so much that by the end of the hour and a half I was a little dizzy. Paul said that we need to get back to exercising which we haven't done now for a couple of weeks. I can sure tell the difference.
Marking scriptures (at least some are)
Sister Fay Burgeson
This past weekend we had Stacey and two of her boys visit with us. It was a fun and delightful time together. They flew in on Friday morning and we spent the afternoon at the Clearwater Aquarium where Winter the Dolphin lives. We rode a ferry to the Dolphin museum where there were all kinds of exhibits showcasing the movie and telling how it came about. There was an hurricane room where we got blown around. We touched stingrays, urchins, and other sea life. Watched shows and the feeding of the sharks. They were hungry little guys. We went home that evening and made pizza. Mmmm! Saturday morning we were up early to go to the beach. We took the kids to the beach that is owned by a member and has a restaurant on it also, Tony Amico. He was so good to us. He got us a space with lounge chairs and an umbrella. I loved that. Stacey and I didn't have to sit in the sun for two hours. Paul and the boys played in the ocean finding shells and clams. Afterwards we had lunch at Caddy's on the beach. After our beach trip we drove over the Sunshine Skyway Bridge to the Ellenton factory outlets for a little shopping. Stacey and I shopped and Paul and the boys wandered around. We all got some ice cream which was the highlight for the boys. The Kitchen store was the highlight for Stacey and I. Sunday we went to church and our attendance soured. We had close 30 people from the Republican National Convention attend. Our R.S. room was packed. Monday morning they got ready and we drove them to the airport. I was hoping that the hurricane would be a little stronger and they would have to stay another day. But the hurricane hardly made a ripple here for which we really are grateful.
This was my birthday picture the boys sent me. Stacey said they had to do it really quickly before the tide came in and washed it away.
This is the type of cage that Winter was caught in.
Getting the nerve to touch the sea urchin
Winter the Dolphin doing a trick
Tristan and Scott
On the ferry to the museum - Tristan Me Scott
Bean bag toss
Tristan always has a smile
A happy boy, Scott
Grandpa trying to squeeze in
Best buddies
Checking out the clam
Tristan found this clam and had a hard time putting it back in the water. He wanted it for a pet.
Relaxing on the beach
With our friend, Tony
At Lunch
Looks like we scored in this store
Kids favorite part
I think we wore them out today
Underwater picture at the apartment pool - Tristan
Before
After - my handsome boy
Another handsome boy
Tristan was in charge of dessert tonight. We made quick cakes with ice cream and Oreos. He told us to seperate an Oreo, top with ice cream, and add some cake. It was delicious.
Scott just liked the bowl of cake and ice cream
Saying goodbye after a fun weekend together
Our newest pilot- Tristan
Thanks Stacey for my cute dish towels. I love them.
We love this work and are grateful for the many people that we are meeting and working with. We are working with some less actives in our ward helping them realize the importance of taking the sacrament every week and renewing their covenants with the Savior. This helps them feel the spirit and regain their testimony of the Savior. We send our love to all of you and pray for your good health and happiness.


No comments:
Post a Comment